Friday, July 20, 2012

The Bridge


The Bridge


I stood on the bridge at midnight ,
As the clocks were striking the hour ,
And the moon rose o’er the city ,
Behind the dark church-tower .

I saw her bright reflection
In the waters under me ,
Like a golden goblet falling
And sinding into the sea .

And far in the hazy distance
Of that lovely night in June ,
The blaze of the flaming furnace
Gleamed redder than the moon .

Among the long ,black rafters
The wavering shadows lay ,
And the current that came from the ocean
Seemed to lift and bear them away,

As,sweeping and eddying through them ,
Rose the belated tide ,
And ,streaming into the moonlight ,
The seaweed floated wide .

And like those waters rushing
Among the wooden piers ,
A flood of thoughts came o’er me
That filled my eyes with tears ,

How often ,oh ,how often ,
In the days that had gone by ,
I had stood on that bridge at midnight
And gazed on that wave and sky !

How often ,oh ,how often,
I had wished that the ebbing tide
Would bear me away on its bosom
O’er the ocean wild and wide !

For my heart was hot and restless ,
And  my life was full of care ,
And the burden laid upon me
Seemed greater than I could bear .

But now it has fallen from me ,
It is buried in the sea ;
And only the sorrow of others
Throws its shadow over me .

Yet whenever I cross the river
On its bridge with wooden piers,
Like the odor of brine from the ocean
Comes the thought of other years .

And I think how many thousands
Of care-encumbered men ,
Each bearing his burden of sorrow ,
Have crossed the bridge since then .

I see the long procession
Still passing to and fro ,
The young heart hot and restless ,
And the subdued and slow !

And forever and forever ,
As long as the river flows ,
As long as the heart has passions,
As long as life has woes ;

The moon and its broken reflection
And its shadows shall appear ,
As the symbol of love in heaven ,
And its wavering image here  .
Jan Bagwell
God Bless !
I love my Church ,I will be at Neighborhood Church Sunday morning in Easley . Come check us out ! We love to Praise God ! Wining Easley to win the world .
I
Praise God !