Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Old Man's Motto

The Old man’s motto
“Give me a motto ,” said a youth
To one whom years had rendered wise ;
“Some pleasant thought , or weighty truth ,
That briefest syllables comprise ;
Some word of warning or of cheer
To grave upon my signet here .
“And, reverend father ,”said the boy ,
“Since life ,they say ,is ever made
A mingled web of grief and joy ;
Since cares may come and pleasures fade ,-
Pray ,let the motto have a range
Of meaning matching every change .”

“Sooth !”said the man ,’ I think you ask
A labor something over-nice ,
That well a finer brain might task .
What think you ,lad , of this device
[Older than I ,though I am gray ].
‘It simple ,’This will pass away .’

When wafted on by fortune’s breeze ,
In endless peace thou seem’st to glide ,
Prepare betimes for rougher seas ,
And chech the boast of foolish pride ;
Though smiling joy thine today ,
Remember ,’This will pass .’

When all the sky is draped in black .
And ,beaten by tempestuous gales ,
Thy shuddering ship seems all a- wrack ,
Then trim again thy tattered sails ;
To grim despair be not a prey ;
I think thee , ‘ This will pass away .’

Thus ,O my son ,be not o’ver-proud ,
Nor yet cast down ; judge thou aright ;
When skies are clear , expect the cloud ;
In darkness wait the coming light ;
Whatever be thy fate today ,
Remember ,’ This will pass away.’”
Jan bagwell
This is something I though you would like . I do not know who wrote it . God Bless and hope you receive something from this .