Wednesday, March 7, 2018

HE LIVED A LIFE

HE LIVED A LIFE


What was his creed ?

I do not know his creed ; I only know

That here below , he walked the common road
And lifted many a load ,lightened the task ,
Brightened the day for others toiling on a weary way :
This ,his only meed ; I do not know his creed

What was his creed ? I never heard him speak
Of visions rapturous ,of Alpine peak
Of doctrine , dogma , new or old :
To stand alone ,to face the challenge of each day ,
And live the truth ,so far as he could see-
The truth that evermore make free .

His creed ? I care not what his creed ;
Enough that never yielded he to greed ,
But served a brother in his daily need ;
Plucked many a thorn and planted many a flower ;
Glorified the service of each hour ;
Had faith in God ,himself , and fellow-men ;
Perchance he never thought in terms of creed ;
I only know he lived a life , in deed !