Saturday, August 15, 2009

Aunt Sarah Luckey's Quilt

Aunt Sarah Luckey’s Quilt
I have a dear possession ,
A quilt of many years ,
T’was made with loving fingers
By a maiden long since dead .

I wonder of the dreams she had
As she sewed the lovely color ,
Of the prince who’d someday come
And love her as no other .

I know she must have though a lot
Of how she’d have a home ,
And fill it full of lovely things
From which she ever roam .

Perhaps she dreamed of baby shoes,
Of tired little feet ,
And all the other things that go
To make a life complete .


But ah , her dreams they ne’er came true
For soon she was to rest
In that fair land beyond the blue ,
Where souls are ever blessed ..

Now I , the namesake of this aunt
In the second generation ,
Gaze on her lovely work of art
With praise and adoration ,


My life like hers is incomplete ,
I, too, dream of tomorrow
When all the worldly things have passed
Like love , and hate and sorrow .

May be we’ll meet on that fair shore
Along with many others

By jan bagwell