Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Prayer

A Prayer

Let me my work each day ;
And if the darkened hours of despair overcome me
May I not forget the strength that comforted me
In the desolation of other times .
May I still remember the bright hours that found me ,
And I promised my early God to have courage
Amid the tempests of the changing years .
Spare me from bitterness .
And from the sharp passions of unguarded moments .
May I not forget that poverty and riches are of the spirit .
Though the world know me not ,
May my thoughts and actions be such
As shall keep me friendly with myself .
Lift my eyes from the earth ,
And let me not forget the uses of the stars .
Forbid that I should judge others ,
Lest I condemn myself .
Let me not follow the clamor of the world ,
But walk calmly in my path .
Give me a few friends who will love me for what I am ;
And keep ever burning before my vagrant steps
The kindly light of hope .
And though age and infirmity overtake me ,
And I come not within sight of the castle of my dreams ,
Teach me still to be thankful for life ,and for time’s olden memories that are good and sweet ;
And may the evening’s twight find me gentle still
Jan Bagwell