Monday, March 10, 2008

Restoring Lost Sheep [part 4 ]

Restoring Lost Sheep ... [part 3]


Verse 176. -- I do not think that there could possibly be a more appropriate conclusion of such a Psalm as this, so full of the varied experience and the ever changing frames and feelings even of a child of God, in the sunshine and the cloud, in the calm and in the storm, than this ever clinging sense of his propensity to wander, and the expression of his utter inability to find his way back without the Lord's guiding hand to restore him; and at the same time with it all, his fixed and abiding determination never to forget the Lord's commandments. What an insight into our poor wayward hearts does this verse give us -- not merely liable to wander, but ever wandering, ever losing our way, ever stumbling on the dark mountains, even while cleaving to God's commandments! But at the same time what a prayer does it put into our mouths, "Seek thy servant," -- "I am thine, save me." Yes, blessed be God! there is One mighty to save. "Kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation.

As far as I have been able, as far as I have been aided by the Lord, I have treated throughout, and expounded, this great Psalm. A task which more able and learned expositors have performed, or will perform better; nevertheless, my services were not to be withheld from it on that account, when my brethren earnestly required it of me.

Hints for Pastors and Laypersons
Verse 176. --

My confession: "I have gone astray."
My profession: "thy servant."
My petition: "seek thy servant."
My plea: "for I do not forget," etc.
Verse 176. --

The confession: "I have gone astray."
The petition: "Seek thy servant."
The plea: "For I do not," etc.
--G.R.

Verse 176. -- The last verse as such. The closing minor cadence.

The highest flights of human devotion must end in confession of sin: "I have gone astray."
The sincerest professions of human fidelity must give place to the acknowledgment of helplessness: "seek thy servant."
The loftiest human declarations of love to God's law must come down to The mournful acknowledgment that we have only not forgotten it.